Monday, July 22, 2013

City Exploring - Day 3

By day three, I admit I was tired. After dealing with traffic the two days prior, I was OVER IT. I just wanted to stay at my dad's house and watch tv and take a long shower. But I talked myself into visiting some places slightly outside of the city, and I'm glad I did.

Untitled
My first stop was the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Lilburn, Georgia. Definitely hard to miss from the road, this place is magnificent! I was greeted by several very nice volunteers throughout the entire visit. I stopped at the gift shop to purchase an audio tour and made my way inside the mandir. There was no photography allowed inside, so this is the only photo I took.

I can honestly say that the inside of this mandir has to be the MOST beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. And by the end of the tour, I made a note to myself to look for books related to Hindu art and architecture.

Untitled
Next on my list was the Tupac Amaru Shakur Center for the Arts. When I was a young teen, I was a big fan of Tupac Shakur, so when I heard there was a statue and fountain dedicated to him in this part of Georgia I knew I had to visit.

But it was more than just a fountain and statue. In fact, there was an entire building dedicated to bringing the arts to the children in the area. Since I work at a non-profit arts council myself, I could definitely support that! I talked to an administrative assistant and witnessed a class in progress. I'm always willing to hear how other arts groups try to help out their community.

Untitled
Another thing on my weird "to see" list was the Walmart Mausoleum. It was a quick visit, all you could do was walk around the building and snap a picture, but I marked it off the list.

Roadside America says: The ancestral Crowley Family cemetery survived the 1963 construction of a mall and parking lot, and subsequent Wal-Martinizing of the landscape. Sometimes called the "Tomb of the Unknown Shoppers."

Untitled
Then back to the city before picking up my daughter at Georgia Tech. When I discovered that the next item on my "to see" list was unexpectedly closed, I went searching for a coffee shop. I found the lovely Honey Bubble on Ponce de Leon. I got a lavender green tea and indulged on three different macarons. YUM YUM YUM!

As for Day 4...I finally gave into my exhaustion and just took a nap for most of the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...