Monday, November 26, 2007

Day Twenty Six

I'm a sucker for new foods, especially drinks and teas so when I heard about Yerba Mate on this morning's Today show I had to have it and try it.

From the Today Show Website: Yerba mate is a South American holly that’s brewed as a tea. In such countries as Paraguay and Argentina, it’s as common as coffee is to Westerners. Health claims include stress reduction, appetite control and easing of allergy symptoms, and it’s loaded with antioxidants.A 2004 study conducted at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana found that mate’s high antioxidant content promotes cell survival better than red wine or green tea. Mate also contains caffeine; xanthine alkaloids (including a mood elevator and muscle relaxant found in chocolate); and B vitamins.

Unfortunately, it's only found at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Krogers, Fred Meyers and this small town only has a Wal-mart, Ingles, and Piggly Wiggly. I did end up scouring the aisles of Ingles and came across the bottled Yerba Mate. I haven't tried it yet since I bought it in the afternoon and I didn't want to stay up half the night if it was a really good energy drink. I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow morning!

When I'm visiting my parents I'll have to remember to stop by Kroger's in their town to see if they stock the teabags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...