Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Case of the Missing Hamster


Princess Peach Kibble (a name that both my daughter and I came up with) went missing yesterday. I was upset and worried, we didn't know how long she had been out since we were busy and out of the house most of the day. I do remember her being on her wheel the night before. The husband and I scoured the top floor of the house, finding traces of the hamster here and there: chewed up bags of treats next to the cage, and chewed up pieces of the carpet in the office corners. We spent the evening walking around and looking down hoping to catch a glimpse of the little critter.
This morning before Daniel got in the shower he woke me up and said he found the hamster. She was in the bathtub! How she got in there, I don't know and probably will never know. The bottom of the tub was covered in little, bloody hamster footprints and Peach was completely spazzed out. I scoop her in a large cup and place her back in her cage, making sure the hole she got out of was secure.
Later I pick her up and inspect her body. I'm worried about what caused the blood. I found only a little cut on the tip of her tail. I'm keeping a close eye on her for the next few days. I'm also worried that she may die. The bottom of the shower liner was chewed up and I'm afraid Peach ingested some of the plastic or long strands of carpet.
Right now she's sleeping, as most hamsters do during the day. I hear her drink from her water bottle every once in awhile. I'm sure she's exhausted from her time out in the real world.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:27 PM

    I used to have three hamsters and one day all three of them escaped. I found one the very first night and about a week later I found another in the bathtub! The poor little thing! I never did find the other one. It's probably still wandering about the house.

    I didn't check the date of this entry, so I hope everything is a-okay with Miss Peach today. I'm so happy you found her though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...