Monday, September 14, 2015

Commission: Red Tailed Hawk

Being my friend means that if you ask for a piece of art it'll probably take me about six months to complete it. Not because I don't like you, it's because I procrastinate like woah.

I would like to note that a buddy asked me to paint a red tailed hawk in January. I finally sent him a sketched out idea sometime in April...maybe even May.

Red Tailed Hawk Progress
The sketch was given the thumbs up and so I got started.

Red Tailed Hawk Progress
Cutting this out took a lot of patience. What a lot of work! 

Red Tailed Hawk Progress
Coming along. I took this photo to show a size comparison to my feet.

Red Tailed Hawk Detail
A close up of the face in progress. The final touches include the black lines and the color in the eyes. At this point he's looking more angry than regal. 

Red Tailed Hawk Progress
The completed piece. It's about 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall. Acrylic painted on 3/4" plywood.

Red Tailed Hawk Detail
Detail of the wingtip.

Red Tailed Hawk Detail
Another detail shot. I'm loving the colors of this piece!

I also love how I was completely trusted with the outcome of this piece. The official commission was: "Red tailed hawk, your style." And that was it. How awesome is that?! I assure you, this is a responsibility that I don't take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...