Friday, June 19, 2015

Celestial Folk Art Series - Cetus & Lepus

A few weeks before setting my art up at Bare Bulb Coffee, I worked myself into a tizzy trying to create enough work to fill the walls. Since I was so focused, I forgot to take a lot of progress photos. 

Cetus "In Progress"

This is probably one of my most favorite paintings. Even in the progress photo, he looks so cute and happy. The canvas is a great size. This one might be pretty hard to let go of when the time comes. 

Cetus Final
"Cetus" 12" x 36", Acrylic on Canvas
From Wikipedia: Its name refers to Cetus, a sea monster in Greek mythology, although it is often called 'the whale' today. Cetus is located in the region of the sky that contains other water-related constellations such as Aquarius, Pisces, and Eridanus.
And then here's Lepus, the hare. 
Lepus (In Progress)
Smaller canvases meant I finished paintings faster. Love!

Lepus (In Progress)
As you can see on the table, I do use a bit of house paint on my canvases. They're always great for solid, opaque colors. 

Lepus Final
"Lepus", 18" x 24", Acrylic on canvas
From Wikipedia: Lepus is a constellation lying just south of the celestial equator, immediately south of Orion. Its name is Latin for hare. Although the hare does not represent any particular figure in Greek mythology, Lepus was one of the 48 constellations listed by the 2nd century astronomer Ptolemy, and it remains one of the 88 modern constellations. It is located below the constellation Orion (the hunter), and is sometimes represented as a hare being chased by Orion or, alternatively, by Orion's hunting dogs.

I haven't been able to spot these constellations in my front-yard sky yet, but I'm sure that'll change soon. And I'm in the beginnings of a summer slump, so perhaps I'll get caught up on blog posts. I've been a painting machine lately! Follow me on Instagram for all the behind the scenes action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...