A few weeks ago I was asked to participate in a fundraiser where artists paint a ceramic pig to be auctioned off. I chose to accept the challenge, and here's my little ceramic piggy.
So I'm to paint the pig, and send it back to the fundraiser organizer. Easy enough, right? Well, I was dumbfounded as to how to paint the pig. Acrylic paints wouldn't adhere to the ceramic glaze. There's special ceramic paint somewhere out there, I'm sure, but that involved at least an hour-long drive to the nearest Hobby Lobby. To be frank, I just didn't have the time, or the extra cash.
I set the pig aside, and let my ideas work themselves out in my brain for a few days. Finally it hit me...sand off the glaze. Durrrrr.
My handy dandy small hand sander did the trick. Now the pig's all sanded and acrylic paint should have a nice surface in which to dry.
Of course, my pig's going to be tattoo-inspired! I have a super neat name for him (or her!) when I'm finished. There are spots that weren't sanded correctly so some of the lines are rubbing off. I think adding Mod Podge to the paint might help out with the adhesion troubles. I'll keep you posted!