Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blast from the Past

When I was a Kid

When I was a Kid


In 1994, I lived in North Alabama. My dad would visit me and my brother once a month and we'd spend a weekend checking out all the flea markets we could find. These ceramic figures were unpainted when I bought them, and I remember trying to mix a decent turquoise color with the limited paints I owned. I'm pretty sure this was in the middle of my childhood obsession with everything Native American (still slightly obsessed). In fact, I still have a dreamcatcher that was purchased at the same flea market as the girl and fox figures, hanging over my bedroom window.

I thought about these figures weeks ago and was determined to find them at dad's house and photograph them. I was happy to see that I dated them on the bottom. In 1994, I was 12 years old, in seventh grade, and shy as all get-out. Then I do the math: I painted these 16 years ago. SIXTEEN YEARS AGO! Are you kidding me?

Dad loves these figures and he mentioned several times that I am not allowed to take these home with me. I'm glad he loves them as much as I do. I should do some more digging around to see if I can find any more vintage artwork!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at the owl picture -- have you had a chance to see my Facebook profile picture lately?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...