Friday, August 22, 2014

Celestial Folk Art Series - Cygnus

Next year I will be hanging my art in a nearby coffee shop. Right now I am almost frantically trying to come up with the art that will be on display. I'm calling it a "Celestial Folk Art Series". 

Cygnus Painting Progress
I'm enjoying working with wood, mostly inexpensive plywood, and taking the time to cut out the shapes. My dad's a woodworker, so I grew up with plenty of saws buzzing in my ears. I was super stoked when he gave me a band saw and a scroll saw this past spring. My tool collection has grown with the addition of a belt sander and a jigsaw.

Cygnus Painting Progress
I chose the constellation Cygnus because, well, it's one of my most recent recognizable constellations. And it's been above my house these past few weeks. I'm slowly teaching myself how to read the stars at night. 

Cygnus Painting Progress
These creations require a lot of time and a lot of little brushstrokes. I'm loving how it turned out. Can I admit that I don't ever start out with a specific plan? I can kinda see the finished product in my mind's eye, but I usually just let the paint flow and follow my gut. 

Cygnus Painting Progress
I mean, lots of little brush strokes.

Cygnus Painting Progress

Cygnus Painting Progress
This isn't all the way finished. I still have to seal it and add hanging wire to the back, but I couldn't wait to show it off. 

Cygnus Painting Progress
It's about 3 feet wide, give or take an inch or two.

Check out the other pieces in the series: The Sun, The Moon, and Ursa Major.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...