Monday, February 24, 2014

Celestial Folk Art Series - Ursa Major (Great Bear)

Lately my art has been inspired by folk art and space (see The Sun and The Moon), and my third painting of 2014 added to the celestial series. I painted my version of one of my favorite constellations: Ursa Major, or the "Great Bear".

I used a large canvas that had been sitting in my studio for a little over a year. Sometimes oversized canvases just stay blank, looming over your head, saying "paint me paint me..." And you're too scared that you spent all this money on canvas, just to mess it up. 

Thankfully, I didn't mess this one up. 

Ursa Major In Progress
The only in-progress shot I took.

Ursa Major - Folk Art Inspired Painting - Detail
The details.

Ursa Major - Folk Art Inspired Painting - Detail

Ursa Major - Folk Art Inspired Painting - Detail

Ursa Major - Folk Art Inspired Painting
And all of it! Super hard to get a decent photo of this. 

After posting it on Instagram, a friend asked about it. He stopped by the studio and took it home with him! This is the first time I've ever painted something for myself, then have it sell within a month of completion. Wow!

On its way to a new home
Thanks Jarrett!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...