Monday, June 22, 2015

Art Adventure: Art Gone Wild at Zoo Atlanta

On June 2nd I participated in Art Gone Wild at Zoo Atlanta, a plein air event where artists are invited to paint around the zoo while guests mingle about. I knew right away that I wanted to be stationed in front of the otters so I drove to Atlanta as soon as I could, set up all my supplies, and proclaimed this little corner MINE. 

The otters were awake and OH MY GOODNESS so cute. They would run from one side of their habitat, jump into their personal pond, sqeak squeak squeak with delight, then hop out and run to the other side to repeat. By the time the zoo opened they were ready for their first nap of the day. Kids would press their faces on the glass only to discover the otters sleeping. 

Still, very very cute while sleeping. 

Art Gone Wild - Zoo Atlanta // Otter Painting Progress
My set up for the day. After awhile I just painted with the canvas in my lap. 

Art Gone Wild - Zoo Atlanta // Otter Painting Progress
Progress. 
Lesson of the day: if you ever want to feel really good about yourself as an artist, show your work to a bunch of elementary kids. They'll think you're amazing and won't hesitate to tell you. 

Art Gone Wild - Zoo Atlanta // Otter Painting Progress
And more progress. By this time of the day I had to move since my shade disappeared in the high noon sun. 

Art Gone Wild - Zoo Atlanta // Otter Painting
And the final product. I nearly completed the painting while at the Zoo but brought it home for teeny fix-ups and sealing.

Art Gone Wild - Zoo Atlanta
Here I am with one of my most favorite artist friends, Peter Loose. He is amazing and so productive. A huge, huge influence on my work, no doubt. 

Art Gone Wild - Zoo Atlanta // Golden Pheasant
And I knocked out a quick painting later that week based on sketches I made earlier at the zoo. I knew I wanted to paint a golden pheasant once I saw how amazingly colorful it is. 

These paintings, along with all the other artists' work, were part of an auction to raise funds for the zoo and the artists. How awesome it that? I was unable to attend the auction but I was told that BOTH of my pieces sold. Yay! 

I can't wait to do this again next year. I'll make sure to take off whatever work/projects I have going on so I can paint more than just one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...